Pomeroy School Board Meeting Review
June 29th, 2020
- The Board meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Board President Kyle Pearson. All board members were present, as well as Superintendent Gwinn, Business Manager, Kelly McKeirnan and High School Principal Amy Miller. Connie Boyer was also in attendance representing the East Washingtonian.
- Minutes for the May 28th meeting were approved, as well as the bills and vouchers.
- Superintendent Gwinn updated the board on the current updates from the state and other agencies in regards to reopening this fall. The number one goal for PSD will be to have all of our students back in our buildings in the fall. The health and safety of our students and staff will be our number one priority. Guidance has been provided by OSPI to begin developing reopening plans for school district. Various work groups will be created to begin developing these plans. OSPI will be providing a template that must be used for these plans. The School board will be required to approve the plan, as well as our local health district. Once these approvals are given, the plans must be submitted to OSPI and the State board of Education. The plan will include screening of illness for students and staff each day, face coverings for students and staff, physical distancing in classrooms, and cleaning and hygiene protocols. Superintendent Gwinn will be seeking information from parents and the community to help establish the reopening plan. Some of the protocols are not “ideal”, but we have to remember that we have the opportunity to return to our classrooms and resume teaching and learning together!
- The board approved the update of Policy and Procedure 3207-Prohibition of Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying. The update including identifying the Compliance Officer for the district. Rachel Gwinn is the compliance officer.
- The board approved the winter coaches’ evaluations.
- Superintendent Gwinn presented to the board the summer sports protocols developed by our athletic directors, using the guidance from OPSI/DOH and the National Federation of State High School Associations. The protocols have been submitted to the local health department and were approved on Tuesday, June 30th.
- The board approved the Out of Field teaching assignments for the 2020-2021 school year for Fred Knebel-Weights; Nettie Severs-Geometry and Pre-Algebra, Kristina Knebel-Foreign Language Advanced Biology and Biology.
- Approval was given to hire Gena Severson for the Family and Consumer Science Position and Lora Sliter for the one-one special education parapro position.
- The board approved Resolution 295-Interfund transfer to the Capital Projects Fund of $15,000. This interfund transfer is done each year in preparation for the resurfacing of the track in the future.
- The next board meeting is scheduled for Monday, July 27th, 2020 at 7PM in the Shepherd Room. There will be a budget hearing at 6:30PM prior to the regular scheduled board meeting.
- Kelly McKeirnan gave a brief business manager report. Amy Miller reported on how many students ended the year with incompletes. She shared that students with incompletes were given a packet that must be completed and returned to earn credit for the class. Students have until August 31 to submit the completed packet. A plan will be put in place for students that do not return the packet at that time. Check out for students was very successful and all chrome books were returned. Principal Gwinn shared the great success at the end of the year celebration of popsicles on the playground. She also shared that the PSD staff were able to meet on the last day of school and celebrate the retirements of Marcus Pederson, Sandy Bates, Sanford Bates and Kathy Feider.
- An executive session was called at 7:15 PM for 30 minutes to discuss the superintendent evaluation. No additional business was conducted after the executive session.
- Director Gingerich moved to adjourn the meeting at 7:42, Director Nelson seconded the motion.
- Any forms or handouts at the board meeting may be requested from the district office electronically or in person. Call 843-1651 or email email@example.com